Title and author: The entrepreneur in a minute by Ken Blanchard and Don Hutson and Ethan Willis
This book on starting your own business is a story format about a young man who is getting married soon and together forming a business. The story covers their growing pains and problems and the solutions. At the end of each chapter are a few one-minute overviews and most of them are below. The book uses both real and imagined people to create mentoring situations and teach basic lessons.
Readability / Handwriting quality:
Well written and very easy to read.
Notes on the author:
Ken Blanchard has made his mark writing about business management with his One Minute Manager book series. He is highly respected and invited to lecture and educate Fortune 500 companies around the world.
Three great ideas you can use:
One Minute Insights (ok, more than three – these are good things, what are we going to take away?) –
1. Associate with people you admire and from whom you can learn.
2. Keep a wisdom notebook that you read, hear, and learn, and distill that learning into One Minute Insights.
3. A good life is built on strong, solid values such as integrity, love, honesty, and purposeful work.
4. You never need to cheat to win.
5. What is right is more important than what is right.
6. You will be the same year after year except for the people you meet and the books you read. (Zig Ziglar).
7. You can get what you want in life if you help others get what they want.
8. Success comes when opportunity and preparation meet.
9. It's not who you know that matters; it's who knows you and what he thinks of you.
When you feel moments that impact your destiny, take the opportunity.
10. Humility helps you be open to learning and growing in your area of expertise.
11. Take care of your numbers and your numbers will take care of you.
12. To build a successful business, you must first master the basics.
13. In order for a mentor to be effective, you must be an enthusiastic and committed protege.
14. Always visualize the desired result in advance.
15. In sales and all other business you are on the scene all the time – so act like that.
16. Ambition is the fuel that can lead to life changing events.
17. Identify what excites you. Seek to do more.
18. Don't be afraid to dream big.
19. Don't quit your day job until you have achieved some success under your belt.
20. If no one will pay you to do what you love, you have a hobby, not a career.
21. On the path to entrepreneurship, few people come into your life for no reason.
22. Becoming a successful entrepreneur and having a spouse are not mutually exclusive.
23. When it comes to finding a life partner, character and values trump personality and appearance.
24. To build a good marriage, especially if you are an entrepreneur, be sure to make a commitment to spending time together outside of meals and sleep.
25. You and your spouse are a team. Act like one.
26. Too many people dream too small. You will never get more than you think. So create a big dream.
27. When the opportunity presents itself, take it.
28. Never let your expenses exceed your income.
29. Don't be your clients' banker. Collecting invoices in a timely manner is crucial.
30. Your customers are the lifeblood of a business – they pay the bills.
31. Feed your people. They make everything happen. Without them you have no company.
32. Unless you want to do all the work, you need to think about ways to find new sources of income.
33. If you focus only on managing costs, your business will never grow.
34. Don't be afraid to seek advice when your business reaches a new level.
35. Making a profit is always a necessity if you want to stay in business.
36. As an entrepreneur, the secret to success is to generate CASH, CASH, CASH.
37. Without good cash management, you will never be successful as an entrepreneur.
38. Profit is the applause you get for taking care of your customers and creating a motivating environment for your employees.
Copyright: 2008 Blanchard Management Corporation, Don Hutson and Ethan Willis
Published by Doubleday
General assessment:Just, good, Very Well, Excellent